At Open Ocean Robotics our mission is to build the world’s most advanced ocean robots with a focus on safety, reliability and repeatable performance. Our technology team specializes in creating mobile data-collecting platforms that can remain indefinitely in inhospitable ocean environments. We offer a safer, more effective, and affordable way of gaining ocean insights, transforming how we study, protect and utilize our oceans, and helping build an ocean IoT.
We are seeking a driven and responsible senior electrical systems engineer to be part of our team. The successful candidate will lead the electrical design, be responsible for the electronic hardware architecture, circuit design and layout, and assessing suitable hardware and communications for systems being developed. The position requires a background and strong understanding of systems engineering with experience in unmanned systems such as UAV, USV or other autonomous vehicles an asset.
In this role you will:
- Design, prototype, test, and document all manner of electrical systems for USV and ground station, mainly involving mixed signal circuitry.
- Integrate ocean, environmental, and system sensors into the vessel’s core processor.
- Perform a broad range of electrical engineering tasks including schematic design and review, product sourcing and product integration design, PCB design and review, PCB testing, and final design documentation.
- Provide design documentation and technical communication for PCB and wiring harness fabrication facilities.
- Design and build benchtop test fixtures for design verification and unit calibration.
- Work with 3rd party sensor and payload vendors to document electrical interface requirements including power and digital/analog data.
- Design electronics and wiring harnesses to interface with sensors and payloads.
- Create test plans for performance evaluation and acceptance testing of 3rd party sensors and payloads.
- Optimization of data transmission systems operating in radio, cellular, and satellite networks.
- Ensure appropriate organization of inventory, workshop facility, and safety procedures.
- Other duties as required.
As our ideal candidate you will have:
- Graduated from a recognized institution with a relevant degree, such as Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics or Engineering Physics.
- 5+ years relevant experience.
- Experience with implementing communication systems and protocols such as satellite, LTE/3G, RF, WIFI, PCI, CAN, etc.
- Developed electrical systems to meet required standards and certifications.
- Worked with autonomous navigation/control systems such as Pixhawk. Automation processes such as PLC or SCADA are not relevant.
- Experience and knowledge of obstacle avoidance systems.
- Experience with ARM, embedded Linux and firmware.
- Experience with DC power systems
- Experience with PCB design and layout.
- Experience with embedded systems design.
- Experience with mixed signal circuit design, simulation, and analysis.
- Ability to produce high quality technical documentation as well as translate technical language into client facing user documents.
This is a full time position based in Victoria, BC or Halifax, NS. Compensation is dependant on experience level and includes extended medical and dental benefits, as well as ownership in the company through the employee stock option plan.
For more information, please visit www.openoceanrobotics.com.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
- Open Ocean Robotics Among Latest Cohort to Graduate Halifax’s Creative Destruction Lab
- Open Ocean Robotics Named to “Ready to Rocket” Cleantech List of Emerging BC Technology Companies
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Winner of the Innovator Award in the BC Business Women of the Year Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Secures $540,000 CAD in Pre-Seed Financing Round
- A Year in Review – The Memorable Moments that marked Open Ocean Robotics’ First Year in Business
- Open Ocean Robotics wins Canada’s Most Promising Startup of 2019 Award from NACO
- Open Ocean Robotics wins $100,000 in Spring Impact Investor Challenge
- A Move into Expanded Facilities
- Natural Resources Canada Interview with Julie
- Open Ocean Robotics Receives $800,000 in Incubator Support