At Open Ocean Robotics our mission is to build the world’s most advanced ocean robots with a focus on safety, reliability, and repeatable performance. Our technology team specializes in creating mobile data-collecting platforms that can remain indefinitely in inhospitable ocean environments. We offer a safer, more effective, and affordable way of gaining ocean insights, transforming how we study, protect and utilize our oceans, and helping build an ocean IoT.
We are seeking a technically inclined individual for the role of running our passive acoustic monitoring operations. These operations involve towing one or more hydrophone arrays behind our robotic vessels for marine mammal monitoring and maritime domain awareness applications.
This position requires having in-depth knowledge of the equipment, software, and processes for acquiring high quality acoustics and localization. The primary role for this position is understanding the technical side of acoustic data acquisition with the secondary role of data interpretation and analytics. Our SONAR operations also include running an ADCP profiler and a multibeam depth sounder, and skills/knowledge in these areas would be a bonus but not essential.
The job will include a combination of work in the field and in the office. You must also be capable in writing reports, keeping records, and communications.
In this Role You Will:
- Optimize equipment and software for high-level acoustic collection.
- Understand the mechanisms behind directionality/localization and being able to configure our system for best localization capabilities.
- Regularly testing equipment for faults, bad connections, or other problems.
- Calibrating hydrophones
- Understanding the software and being able to make full use of its capabilities.
- Writing reports detailing findings and methodology
- Interpreting and analyzing collected data
- Deploying equipment in field
As Our Ideal Candidate You Will Have:
- At least four years of relevant experience in this position
- Training in the realm of passive acoustic monitoring
- Enjoy working in a collaborative team environment.
- Be comfortable working in a marine environment.
- An ability to self-learn and quickly understand new systems.
- Experience with hands on field work.
This is a full-time position based in Victoria, BC. Compensation is dependent on experience level. Open Ocean Robotics does not sponsor work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Acoustic Technician” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest and time, and only applicants invited to interview will be contacted.
- From Hunting Poachers to Searching for Whales: A Year in Review at OOR
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Julie Angus wins Industry Icon Award at the 2021 BC Cleantech Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Awarded Solar Impulse Efficient Solution Label – An award for profitable solutions to protect the environment
- Open Ocean Robotics Wins Spot in Offshore Wind Challenge to Create Marine Mammal Monitoring Solution
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Joins Innovation Advisory Board for NATO Maritime Unmanned Systems Initiative
- Open Ocean Robotics Among Latest Cohort to Graduate Halifax’s Creative Destruction Lab
- Open Ocean Robotics Named to “Ready to Rocket” Cleantech List of Emerging BC Technology Companies
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Winner of the Innovator Award in the BC Business Women of the Year Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Secures $540,000 CAD in Pre-Seed Financing Round
- A Year in Review – The Memorable Moments that marked Open Ocean Robotics’ First Year in Business