Mechanical Engineering/Technologist Co-op or Intern Position
Open Ocean Robotics collects ocean data using our proprietary solar powered boats, otherwise known as uncrewed surface vehicles (USV). Equipped with sensors, cameras, and real-time communications, we offer a safer, more effective, and affordable way of gaining ocean insights, transforming how we study, protect and utilize our oceans while helping build an ocean Internet of Things (IoT).
We are looking to hire a third- or fourth-year Mechanical Engineering/Technologist Co-op or Intern to join our twelve-person team and be part of developing marine drone boats. This is the chance to play a role in designing, developing and testing autonomous vessels for a variety of ocean data collection applications.
Participating in Open Ocean Robotics’ Co-op/Internship program offers exceptional work experience, allowing you to gain valuable real-world skills while in school, and makes you more desirable to employers, including us, when you graduate.
- You’ll work on compelling projects that you take a lead role in.
- You’ll have the opportunity for self-learning as well as guidance and will be an integral part of the team.
- Positive and fun environment! We believe that a great working environment is key to doing great work, and we care deeply about developing a culture that is inclusive and supportive. Plus, there’s a foosball table, company gym and pizza Fridays.
- You’ll be making a real difference!
About the Position
We are seeking a highly motivated mechanical engineer/technologist student or recent graduate, either in a co-op placement or as an intern.
Your role will involve developing components using 3D modelling software, helping design components for varied applications, and will require a sound knowledge in 3D printing, machining and manufacturing processes. Our facility is next to the Victoria Makerspace, so a varied assortment of tools are available. An aptitude and interest in using and learning how to use new tools is important.
Ideally, you will have a good knowledge of composite construction as well as an intuitive knowledge of mechanical principles (having a good idea of what will “work” prior to doing calculations). A creative mindset to come up with elegant solutions that are easy to fabricate is a must.
- Third- or fourth-year student completing a university degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics Engineering, Mechatronics, Technologist or a related field, or a recent graduate from a recognized institution.
- Strong communication, organization, and time management skills, as well as a willingness to learn and strong work ethic.
- Genuine curiosity and willingness to understand how our products are designed, built and how they operate.
- Ability to work independently, detail-oriented and execution-focused.
- Capable of writing appropriate technical documentation to aid in knowledge transfer.
- Experience with UAV or other autonomous vehicles is an asset.
This is a full time position based in Victoria, BC. Compensation is dependent on experience.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with your transcript, as well as a resume and covering letter that demonstrates how your education and experience meets the requirements of this position.
If you are a co-op student, please apply through your university’s portal.
If you are applying as an intern, please send your resume, cover letter and transcript(s) to email@example.com. The intern position is covered in part by a grant and in order to qualify you must be under 30 years of age and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Only candidates selected for interview will be contacted, however, we thank all applicants for taking the time to consider this posting.
- Open Ocean Robotics Awarded Solar Impulse Efficient Solution Label – An award for profitable solutions to protect the environment
- Open Ocean Robotics Wins Spot in Offshore Wind Challenge to Create Marine Mammal Monitoring Solution
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Joins Innovation Advisory Board for NATO Maritime Unmanned Systems Initiative
- Open Ocean Robotics Among Latest Cohort to Graduate Halifax’s Creative Destruction Lab
- Open Ocean Robotics Named to “Ready to Rocket” Cleantech List of Emerging BC Technology Companies
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Winner of the Innovator Award in the BC Business Women of the Year Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Secures $540,000 CAD in Pre-Seed Financing Round
- A Year in Review – The Memorable Moments that marked Open Ocean Robotics’ First Year in Business
- Open Ocean Robotics wins Canada’s Most Promising Startup of 2019 Award from NACO
- Open Ocean Robotics wins $100,000 in Spring Impact Investor Challenge