We are looking to hire a Mechanical Engineering Co-op or Summer Student to join our 8-person team and be part of developing autonomous marine drones. This is the chance to play a role in designing, developing and testing autonomous vessels for a variety of ocean data collection applications.
Participating in Open Ocean Robotics Co-op program offers exceptional work experience, allowing you to gain valuable real-world skills while still in school, and makes you more desirable to employers, including us, when you graduate.
- You’ll work on compelling projects that you take a lead role in.
- You’ll have the opportunity for self-learning as well as guidance, and will be an integral part of the team.
- Positive and fun environment! We believe that a great working environment is key to doing great work, and we care deeply about developing a culture that is inclusive and supportive. Plus, there’s a foosball table, company gym and pizza Fridays.
- You’ll be making a real difference!
Open Ocean Robotics is seeking a highly motivated mechanical engineer student, either in a co-op placement or as a summer student.
Your role will involve developing components using 3D modelling software, helping design components for varied applications, and a sound knowledge in machining. Our facility is next to MakerSpace, so a varied assortment of tools are available. An aptitude and interest in using and learning how to use new tools is important.
Ideally, you will have a good knowledge of composite construction as well as an intuitive knowledge of mechanical principals (having a good idea of what will “work” prior to doing calculations). A creative mindset to come up with elegant solutions that are easy to fabricate is a must.
- Third or fourth year student completing a University degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics Engineering, Mechatronics, or a related field.
- Experience working in an engineering capacity through a co-op placement or other work placement.
- Strong communication, organization, and time management skills, as well as a willingness to learn and strong work ethic.
- Genuine curiosity and willingness to understand how our products are designed, built and how they operate.
- Ability to work independently, detail oriented and execution focused.
- Capable of writing appropriate technical documentation to aid in knowledge transfer.
- Experience with UAV or other autonomous vehicles an asset.
This is a 16-week position in Victoria beginning May 4, 2020. There is the potential to extend the placement for an additional 16 weeks. You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply to email@example.com with your transcript, as well as a resume and covering letter that demonstrates how your education and experience meets the requirements of this position.
Thank you to all applicants who apply, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Open Ocean Robotics Among Latest Cohort to Graduate Halifax’s Creative Destruction Lab
- Open Ocean Robotics Named to “Ready to Rocket” Cleantech List of Emerging BC Technology Companies
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Winner of the Innovator Award in the BC Business Women of the Year Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Secures $540,000 CAD in Pre-Seed Financing Round
- A Year in Review – The Memorable Moments that marked Open Ocean Robotics’ First Year in Business
- Open Ocean Robotics wins Canada’s Most Promising Startup of 2019 Award from NACO
- Open Ocean Robotics wins $100,000 in Spring Impact Investor Challenge
- A Move into Expanded Facilities
- Natural Resources Canada Interview with Julie
- Open Ocean Robotics Receives $800,000 in Incubator Support