At Open Ocean Robotics our mission is to build the world’s most advanced ocean robots with a focus on safety, reliability and repeatable performance. Our technology team specializes in creating mobile data-collecting platforms that can remain indefinitely in inhospitable ocean environments. We offer a safer, more effective, and affordable way of gaining ocean insights, transforming how we study, protect and utilize our oceans, and helping build an ocean IoT.
We are seeking an innovative and creative Junior UI Developer to be part of our team for a 6-month full-time contract. Someone who is passionate about creating quality software. You are a new or experienced software engineer with a love of the ocean, robotics or both.
As a UI Developer you are passionate about user interface and how it relates to the user’s experience with a product. You deliver simple, clean code that is tested and testable. You carefully evaluate and communicate the merits and costs of design choices, not only on how it impacts the user but also how it impacts implementation and architecture. You are always looking for better ways to design and develop user interfaces.
As a member of the software development team, you will be designing, prototyping, and delivering scalable solutions in an agile environment. You will be responsible for contributing to individual products, the core software platform, and for meeting the commitments that your team agrees on.
Any experience with unmanned systems such as UAV, USV or other autonomous vehicles would be considered a bonus for your application.
In this role you will:
- Work as part of a team to deliver quality software from inception to production in an agile environment; writing high-quality code that satisfies our customer’s needs, striving for simplicity, clarity and testability
- Learning the codebase and improving your coding skills.
- Follow code quality, unit testing, and documentation standards
- Participate in and solicit code reviews, accepting and offering timely and constructive criticism that helps us prevent defects
- Proactively report and fix defects
- Document solutions and processes
- Participate in the Agile Scrum development process
- Contribute to technical support for our customer support team.
As our ideal candidate you will have:
- Graduated from a recognized institution with a relevant degree.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience to this position.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, technical aptitude, attention to detail
- Working experience with a major single-page app framework (React, Vue, Angular).
- Experience with other JS ecosystem staples (Node.js, Express, Swagger) is a plus.
- Experience developing against RESTful based APIs.
- Familiarity with Git and related branching workflows.
- Familiarity with UI prototyping tools such as Figma or InVision.
- Experience with software development lifecycle, TDD, and Agile development practices.
- Comfortable working in both Linux and Windows environments.
- Positive attitude, reliable, self-motivated, team player with excellent communication skills.
- Exposure to other development disciplines (back-end or mobile development) is a plus.
- Bonus: Familiarity with authentication and authorization infrastructure; e.g. KeyCloak, Auth0.
- Bonus: Background and understanding of unmanned systems such as UAV, USV or other autonomous vehicles.
This is a full-time position based in Victoria, BC. Compensation is dependent on experience level. This position is covered in part by a grant and in order to qualify you must be under 30 years of age and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with a resume and cover letter that demonstrates how your education and experience meet the requirements of this position.
Thank you to all applicants who apply, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Open Ocean Robotics Awarded Solar Impulse Efficient Solution Label – An award for profitable solutions to protect the environment
- Open Ocean Robotics Wins Spot in Offshore Wind Challenge to Create Marine Mammal Monitoring Solution
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Joins Innovation Advisory Board for NATO Maritime Unmanned Systems Initiative
- Open Ocean Robotics Among Latest Cohort to Graduate Halifax’s Creative Destruction Lab
- Open Ocean Robotics Named to “Ready to Rocket” Cleantech List of Emerging BC Technology Companies
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Winner of the Innovator Award in the BC Business Women of the Year Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Secures $540,000 CAD in Pre-Seed Financing Round
- A Year in Review – The Memorable Moments that marked Open Ocean Robotics’ First Year in Business
- Open Ocean Robotics wins Canada’s Most Promising Startup of 2019 Award from NACO
- Open Ocean Robotics wins $100,000 in Spring Impact Investor Challenge