If you dream of exploring remote worlds using advanced robotic technologies, we’ll take you there.
Operating on oceans around the world from Victoria BC, Open Ocean Robotics is a rapidly growing startup transforming how we understand our oceans through better data. We are leaders in solar-powered autonomous boats, also called uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), that voyage inhospitable ocean environments for multi-month missions. Combined with advanced sensors and data analytics, and producing no greenhouse gases or risk of oil spills, we offer a safer, more effective and affordable way of gaining ocean insights. We are transforming how we study, protect and utilize our oceans, and helping to build an ocean IoT.
We’re driven by a pioneering spirit to push boundaries and make the seemingly impossible possible. Together, we can achieve that goal, growing our team of highly skilled people and offering you the opportunity to tackle big challenges with solutions that make a difference.
Are you ready to embark on a career in the new ocean economy? We would love to hear from you.
We’re on a quest to find an innovative and creative intermediate embedded hardware / firmware engineer to be part of our team. You will be creating, testing, and integrating firmware for new features and proprietary hardware, in addition to assisting in hardware bring-up and initial peripheral mapping for new hardware. Working in a cross-functional team, you will be developing embedded communications and supervisory firmware, as well as aiding in developing an automated testing infrastructure. The successful candidate will be responsible for working with our engineers, designers, and product managers to ensure that our product and platform is of the highest quality and reliability.
Any experience with unmanned systems such as UAV, USV, or other autonomous vehicles would be considered an asset for your application.
In this role, you will:
- Work closely with our engineering team to release high-quality firmware;
- Create firmware based on requirements, constraints, and FSM designs;
- Participate in PCB bring-up, create initial board-support packages and initial firmware including low-level peripheral drivers;
- Specify or recommend processors for given project constraints and create initial peripheral mapping to ensure system-level specifications can be met with chosen architecture;
- Create and maintain firmware test plans for changes in the product;
- Document firmware updates, usage, and produce bug reports;
- Research and evaluate new technologies;
- Contribute to the creation of designs for production firmware with a focus on testability, robustness, and performance;
- Aid in improving our automated test environment;
- Contribute to technical support for our customer support team.
As our ideal candidate, you will have:
- Graduated from a recognized institution with a relevant degree;
- At least 4 years of relevant experience to this position;
- Strong hardware knowledge (read and understand schematics);
- Ability to solder SMT components to add jumpers, test leads, etc. to assist in troubleshooting;
- Demonstrated ability to write low-level peripheral drivers, communication stacks, state machines, ISRs, etc.;
- Ability to utilize an IDE and debugging environment to inspect memory, install breakpoints, create linker scripts, etc.;
- Ability to recognize failure issues in hardware (bus/signal contention, power delivery issues, noise, etc.) when troubleshooting the embedded system;
- Experience with communication protocols like I2C, (Q)SPI, UART [TTL, RS232, RS485], CAN, USB, Ethernet, etc.;
- Experience with bootloaders, flash programming algorithms, secure boot environments;
- Used oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, multimeters, etc. to aid in troubleshooting;
- Good verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, technical aptitude, and an attention to detail;
- Ability to understand and translate business requirements and technical specifications;
- Knowledge of industry standard best practices as related to firmware development;
- Experience in C/C++ firmware;
- Experience with bare-metal and RTOS coding;
- Experience with Linux-based systems;
- Experience with version control software;
- Experience working in an Agile environment;
- Familiarity with networking concepts is an asset: RF/mesh, TCP/IP, DHCP, UDP, etc.;
- Familiarity with OSI model and ability to work and design with layer-2 (low-level) stacks;
- Experience with control theory, low-level analogue systems, ocean sensors, audio/acoustics, knowledge of NMEA messages, GPS interfacing, servos/PWM techniques, radio-controlled communications, satellite communications, etc., is an asset;
- Background and understanding of unmanned systems such as UAV, USV, or other autonomous vehicles is an asset.
This is a full-time position based in Victoria, BC. Compensation is dependent on experience level. Open Ocean Robotics does not sponsor work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Embedded Hardware / Firmware Engineer” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest and time. Only applicants invited to interview will be contacted.
- Open Ocean Robotics wins Campbell River’s’ NexStream 2.0 Wild Card Challenge!
- From Hunting Poachers to Searching for Whales: A Year in Review at OOR
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Julie Angus wins Industry Icon Award at the 2021 BC Cleantech Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Awarded Solar Impulse Efficient Solution Label – An award for profitable solutions to protect the environment
- Open Ocean Robotics Wins Spot in Offshore Wind Challenge to Create Marine Mammal Monitoring Solution
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Joins Innovation Advisory Board for NATO Maritime Unmanned Systems Initiative
- Open Ocean Robotics Among Latest Cohort to Graduate Halifax’s Creative Destruction Lab
- Open Ocean Robotics Named to “Ready to Rocket” Cleantech List of Emerging BC Technology Companies
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Winner of the Innovator Award in the BC Business Women of the Year Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Secures $540,000 CAD in Pre-Seed Financing Round