Open Ocean Robotics
Open Ocean Robotics collects ocean data using our proprietary wind and solar powered uncrewed autonomous boats equipped with sensors, cameras and real-time communications. We offer a safer, more effective and affordable way of gaining ocean insights, transforming how we study, protect and utilize our oceans, and helping build an ocean IoT.
We are seeking a Front-End Developer to be part of our team, to start immediately. Ideally, you have a passion for creating quality software with a love of the ocean and robotics.
As a Front-End Developer you are passionate about user interface and how it relates to the user’s experience with a product. You deliver simple, clean code that is tested and testable. You carefully evaluate and communicate the merits and costs of design choices, not only on how it impacts the user but also how it impacts implementation and architecture. You are always looking for better ways to design and develop user interfaces.
As a member of the software development team, you will be designing, prototyping, and delivering scalable solutions in an agile environment. You will be responsible for contributing to individual products, the core software platform, and for meeting the commitments that your team agrees on.
Any experience with unmanned systems such as UAV, USV or other autonomous vehicles would be considered a bonus for your application.
In this role you will:
- Work on an amazing user experience to help our customers plan missions, pilot missions and analyze data in near real-time, as well as offline experience.
- Work as part of a team to deliver quality software from inception to production in an agile environment; writing high-quality code that satisfies our customer’s needs, striving for simplicity, clarity and testability
- Follow code quality, unit testing, and documentation standards
- Participate in and solicit code reviews, accepting and offering timely and constructive criticism that helps us prevent defects
- Proactively report and fix defects
- Document solutions and processes
- Participate in the Agile Scrum development process
- Contribute to technical support for our customer support team.
As our ideal candidate you will have:
- At least 2 of these will have been building complex, single-page applications in React.
- Experience with mapping application libraries; ideally Leaflet.
- Experience working with websockets, and handling real-time data.
- Experience with other JS ecosystem staples (Node.js, Express, Swagger) is a plus.
- Experience developing against RESTful based APIs.
- Graduated from a recognized institution with a relevant degree.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, technical aptitude, attention to detail
- Familiarity with Git and related branching workflows.
- Familiarity with UI prototyping tools such as Figma or InVision.
- Experience with software development lifecycle, TDD, and Agile development practices.
- Comfortable working in both Linux and Windows environments.
- Positive attitude, reliable, and self-motivated team player.
- Exposure to other development disciplines (back-end or mobile development) is a plus.
- Bonus: Familiarity with authentication and authorization infrastructure; e.g. KeyCloak, Auth0.
- Bonus: Background and understanding of uncrewed systems such as UAV, USV or other autonomous vehicles.
This is a full-time position based in Victoria, BC. Compensation is dependent on experience level. You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to apply.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Front-End Developer” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest and time, and only applicants invited to interview will be contacted.
- From Hunting Poachers to Searching for Whales: A Year in Review at OOR
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Julie Angus wins Industry Icon Award at the 2021 BC Cleantech Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Awarded Solar Impulse Efficient Solution Label – An award for profitable solutions to protect the environment
- Open Ocean Robotics Wins Spot in Offshore Wind Challenge to Create Marine Mammal Monitoring Solution
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Joins Innovation Advisory Board for NATO Maritime Unmanned Systems Initiative
- Open Ocean Robotics Among Latest Cohort to Graduate Halifax’s Creative Destruction Lab
- Open Ocean Robotics Named to “Ready to Rocket” Cleantech List of Emerging BC Technology Companies
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Winner of the Innovator Award in the BC Business Women of the Year Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Secures $540,000 CAD in Pre-Seed Financing Round
- A Year in Review – The Memorable Moments that marked Open Ocean Robotics’ First Year in Business