We are looking to hire a Firmware Developer Co-op Student to join our 8-person team and be part of developing autonomous marine drones. This is the chance to play a role in designing, developing and testing autonomous vessels for a variety of ocean data collection applications.
Participating in Open Ocean Robotics Co-op program offers exceptional work experience, allowing you to gain valuable real-world skills while still in school, and makes you more desirable to employers, including us, when you graduate.
- You’ll work on compelling projects that you take a lead role in.
- You’ll have the opportunity for self-learning as well as guidance, and will be an integral part of the team.
- Positive and fun environment! We believe that a great working environment is key to doing great work, and we care deeply about developing a culture that is inclusive and supportive. Plus, there’s a foosball table, company gym and pizza Fridays.
- You’ll be making a real difference!
We are seeking an innovative and creative firmware developer co-op student to be part of our team. Your job will be to create and test firmware for new features and proprietary hardware. Working in a cross-functional team, you will be developing embedded communications and supervisory firmware, as well as aiding in developing automated testing infrastructure.
The successful candidate will be responsible for working with our engineers, designers, and product managers to ensure that our product and platform is of the highest quality and reliability.
Any experience with unmanned systems such as UAV, USV or other autonomous vehicles would be considered an asset for your application.
In this role you will:
● Work closely with our engineering team to release high quality firmware.
● Create firmware based on requirements, constraints, and FSM designs.
● Create and maintain firmware test plans for changes in the product.
● Document firmware updates, usage, and produce bug reports
● Research and evaluate new technologies
● Contribute to the creation of designs for production firmware with a focus on testability, robustness, and performance.
● Aid in improving our automated test environment
● Contribute to technical support for our customer support team
As our ideal candidate you will have:
● Fourth year standing in an accredited University pursuing computer science, computer engineering, mechatronics, or electrical engineering.
● Good verbal and written communication skills.
● Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, technical aptitude, attention to detail
● Ability to understand and translate business requirements and technical specifications
● Knowledge of industry standard best practices as related to firmware development
● Experience developing C/C++ firmware
● Experience with version control software
● Experience with communication protocols: UART, I2C, SPI, CAN Bus, etc.
● Experience working in an Agile environment.
● Experience with Linux based systems.
● Familiarity with control theory, sensor integration, and hardware design is an asset.
● Familiarity with networking concepts is an asset: RF, TCP/IP, Ethernet, DHCP, etc.
● Background and understanding of unmanned systems such as UAV, USV, or other autonomous vehicles is an asset
If you are interested in this co-op opportunity please submit your application with a cover letter, resume, and up-to-date academic transcripts to email@example.com. Thank you to all applicants who apply, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This is a full-time co-op position based in Victoria, BC. The placement will start Sept 7 and be for 4 or 8 months. There is also the possibility of starting sooner.
- Open Ocean Robotics Among Latest Cohort to Graduate Halifax’s Creative Destruction Lab
- Open Ocean Robotics Named to “Ready to Rocket” Cleantech List of Emerging BC Technology Companies
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Winner of the Innovator Award in the BC Business Women of the Year Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Secures $540,000 CAD in Pre-Seed Financing Round
- A Year in Review – The Memorable Moments that marked Open Ocean Robotics’ First Year in Business
- Open Ocean Robotics wins Canada’s Most Promising Startup of 2019 Award from NACO
- Open Ocean Robotics wins $100,000 in Spring Impact Investor Challenge
- A Move into Expanded Facilities
- Natural Resources Canada Interview with Julie
- Open Ocean Robotics Receives $800,000 in Incubator Support