Expected Start Date: September 2019
We are seeking an Autonomous Marine Electrical Engineer for a 4-8 month co-op placement, based in Victoria, BC, who will work collaboratively in the development of our innovative and ground-breaking energy-harvesting unmanned autonomous boats. This includes the opportunity to work in partnership with research and industry partners, a well as multi-disciplinary teams on system design for the prototype.
Is this you?
- You bring a unique engineering ability to understand electrical hardware integrations and strong understanding of control systems.
- Your experience provides you with a comfort level handling and programming a variety of microcontrollers, and autonomous navigation systems such as Pixhawk.
- You have experience working with autonomous surface or underwater vehicles or other autonomous vehicles and understand the unique requirements of working in the marine environment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Optimizing solar array. The vessel is powered with a (rated) 1100-watt solar array, which will charge a lithium ion battery. You will fine tune aspects of the electrical system and help install the solar panels.
- Installing and optimizing a third-party satellite telemetry system that runs off Raspberry Pi and is configured to work with the Pixhawk system.
- Installing a third-party telemetry system that works off the 3G/4G cellular network. This system will also relay high-definition video.
- Installation of weather sensors, AIS, antennas, etc. You will problem-solve challenges like reducing electrical noise from lengthy cables within the system.
- Building algorithms to regulate power consumption. You will take in consideration variables such as adjusting motor speed according to inputs from sensors such as solar output, battery voltage, length of nights, etc.
Job Knowledge Qualifications
- Undergraduate or graduate student in Electrical or Computer Engineering
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with Linux, ROS, embedded software development, C/C++, python or other scripting languages is a plus.
- Experience with autonomous vehicles is an asset, as knowledge of Pixhawk autonomous navigation system.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a record of collaborating well in a team environment.
This is a full time 16-week co-op position in Victoria beginning September 2, 2019. There is the potential to extend the placement for an additional 16 weeks.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply to email@example.com with your transcript, as well as a resume and covering letter that demonstrates how your education and experience meets the requirements of this position.
Thank you to all applicants who apply, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.