Expected Start Date: May – June, 2019
We are seeking an Autonomous Marine Electrical Engineer for a 6 month full-time internship position with the potential to lead into a permanent position. Based in Victoria BC, you will work collaboratively and lead the development of our innovative and ground-breaking energy-harvesting unmanned autonomous boats. This includes the opportunity to work in partnership with research and industry partners, as well as multi-disciplinary teams on system design for the prototype.
Is this you?
- You have a Bachelors, Masters or Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics Engineering, Mechatronics, or related field.
- You bring a unique engineering ability to understand electrical hardware integrations and strong understanding of control systems.
- Your experience provides you with a comfort level handling and programming a variety of microcontrollers, and autonomous navigation systems such as Pixhawk.
- You have experience working with autonomous surface or underwater vehicles or other autonomous vehicles and understand the unique requirements of working in the marine environment.
- You have the capacity to translate the technical jargon to non-technical peers and have strong verbal and written communication skills.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Refining and developing cellular and satellite telemetry systems.
- Developing collision avoidance systems using AIS, lidar, acoustics and/or radar.
- Installing oceanographic and environmental sensors, and design systems to store data onboard and live-relay select data.
- Designing solar power generation and battery storage system and collaborating with research partners on developing a smart power regulation system.
- Developing algorithms to regulate power consumption. This will take into consideration variables such as adjusting motor speed according to inputs from sensors such as solar output, battery voltage, length of nights, etc.
- Leading and directing other members of the team to help fulfill tasks.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics Engineering, or equivalent.
- This placement is through a Youth Employment Program and to qualify you must 30 years of age or younger.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with Linux, ROS, embedded software development, C/C++, python or other scripting languages is a plus.
- Experience with autonomous vehicles is an asset, as knowledge of Pixhawk autonomous navigation system.
- More than 2 years of experience in system design and/or product design.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a record of collaborating well in a team environment.
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada.
About Open Ocean Robotics
Open Ocean Robotics is an early-stage company developing offshore-capable autonomous unmanned energy-harvesting boats. The vessels collect data using a variety of sensors which is relayed to shore via telemetry or stored onboard with a datalogger. Powered by the sun or wind, our boats produce no greenhouse gases, noise pollution or risk of oil spills, and operate at a fraction of the cost of traditional crewed vessels. They can travel non-stop for up to a year, always on and always collecting data, and go into areas too dangerous for people. Some of the tasks the boats can perform include detecting and helping clean up oil spills, assessing fish stocks, environmental monitoring, detection of hazardous materials, port security and safety, relaying data from subsea sensors, and patrolling borders and marine protected areas.
Autonomous boats hold the same disruptive potential as autonomous automobiles. We are Canada’s first autonomous boat company, and are focused on creating new technologies to revolutionize this burgeoning industry.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply to email@example.com with a resume and covering letter that demonstrates how your education and experience meets the requirements of this position.
Thank you to all applicants who apply, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.