At Open Ocean Robotics our mission is to build the world’s most advanced ocean robots with a focus on safety, reliability and repeatable performance. Our technology team specializes in creating mobile data-collecting platforms that can remain indefinitely in inhospitable ocean environments. We offer a safer, more effective, and affordable way of gaining ocean insights, transforming how we study, protect and utilize our oceans, and helping build an ocean IoT.
We are seeking an innovative and creative junior/intermediate DevOps engineer to be part of our team: someone who is passionate about scalability, performance and security. You are a new or experienced DevOps engineer, with experience with AWS service, who is complemented with a software development skill set.
Your job will be to take over the responsibility for our Xplorer Platform. You love all things DevOps related and love to optimize and automate tasks. You will focus on maintaining and evolving a fast, reliable and secure server infrastructure for our fleet of USV vessels, which could be deployed anywhere in the world.
The successful candidate will also work closely with our engineers to support our CI/CD pipeline, which feeds into our server and vessel deployments.
Any experience with uncrewed systems such as UAV, USV or other autonomous vehicles would be considered a bonus for your application.
In this role you will:
- Participate in the design and build of scalable, reliable, and high performance systems and environments
- Participate in the design and implementation both continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Participate in the design and build monitoring solutions and services
- Develop infrastructure code
- Develop platform code
- Monitor health of the application and environment, and act to return system to health when alerted
- Effectively contribute to building the overall knowledge and expertise of the technical team
- Identify and promote opportunities for innovation
- Evangelize DevOps principles and best practices throughout the work, organization, and interactions with others
- Maintain security, backups, and redundancy strategies (including disaster recovery protocols) to ensure vessel missions can continue in the face of man-made attacks and normal hardware/network failures.
- Write and maintain custom scripts and tools to increase system efficiency and lower the human intervention time on tasks.
- Contribute to technical support for our customer support team.
- Help to ensure a 24/7 uptime of our mission critical systems.
As our ideal candidate you will have:
- Graduated from a recognized institution with a relevant degree.
- At least 2 years of hands-on experience with DevOps tools and approaches.
- Personally invested in the systems that they build
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Knowledge of industry standard best practices as related to DevOps
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, technical aptitude, attention to detail
- Configuration and debugging experience with a variety of software and systems
- Strong knowledge of AWS services and architecture; e.g. EC2, EBS, RDS, S3, ALB, etc.
- Experience with Linux based operating systems and shell scripting
- Experience with infrastructure as code; e.g. Terraform
- Experience with Container and Orchestration tools; e.g. Docker, Rancher 2, Kubernetes
- Experience managing and supporting CI/CD environments; e.g. GitLab
- Experience supporting relational and no-sql data stores; e.g. Postgres, Elastic Search, Redis
- Fascinated with monitoring, testing, and securing anything and everything
- Familiarity with systems monitoring, log aggregation, and dashboard solutions (e.g. Elastic, ELK, Splunk, Prometheus)
- Familiarity with networking concepts. RF, TCP/IP, Ethernet, wireless.
- Bonus: Familiarity with authentication and authorization infrastructure; e.g. KeyCloak, Auth0
- Bonus: Have been a coder in C, C++, Python, Node.js, or other higher-layer language
- Bonus: Experience hosting and managing repositories, e.g. Git, Docker, Helm, Apt, NPM
This is a full-time position based in Victoria, BC. Compensation is dependent on experience level. Open Ocean Robotics does not sponsor work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Junior/Intermediate DevOps Engineer” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest and time, and only applicants invited to interview will be contacted.
- Open Ocean Robotics wins Campbell River’s’ NexStream 2.0 Wild Card Challenge!
- From Hunting Poachers to Searching for Whales: A Year in Review at OOR
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Julie Angus wins Industry Icon Award at the 2021 BC Cleantech Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Awarded Solar Impulse Efficient Solution Label – An award for profitable solutions to protect the environment
- Open Ocean Robotics Wins Spot in Offshore Wind Challenge to Create Marine Mammal Monitoring Solution
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Joins Innovation Advisory Board for NATO Maritime Unmanned Systems Initiative
- Open Ocean Robotics Among Latest Cohort to Graduate Halifax’s Creative Destruction Lab
- Open Ocean Robotics Named to “Ready to Rocket” Cleantech List of Emerging BC Technology Companies
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Winner of the Innovator Award in the BC Business Women of the Year Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Secures $540,000 CAD in Pre-Seed Financing Round