Chief Technology Officer
Are you a purpose-driven technology development leader with a deep level of engagement with the ocean? Are you interested to leverage your product development leadership in ocean tech or field robotics in an ambitious, award-winning early-stage company based in beautiful British Columbia, Canada?
Open Ocean Robotics is a high-growth, early-stage marine robotics and software company with a compelling solution. Solar-powered autonomous boats enable emission-free, safe and low-cost data collection and analytics as a service. Our USVs (Uncrewed Surface Vehicles) are equipped with sensors, cameras and communication devices to they can access and capture information from anywhere on the ocean. Clients can access data and control their USV from anywhere in the world via the XplorerView cloud portal. Powered by the sun, these boats travel nonstop for weeks or even months, with zero emissions, noise pollution or the need for crew. We are creating a unique IoT solution for the sea, to help scientists and decision-makers finally begin to gain data and understanding from extremely hard-to-reach regions of our beautiful planet – and equipped with the data, to take much needed action.
Appropriately based in the beautiful coastal city of Victoria, BC, Canada and co-founded by award-winning ocean adventurers, Open Ocean Robotics is both an advanced tech and cleantech venture, at an exciting and important stage in the growth and development of its marine robotics and ocean data analytics platform.
- Currently one USV model in pilot use and a larger USV in development
- Founded in 2018 and now growing rapidly with 25 team members
- Open Ocean Robotics USVs have completed over 1,500 hours on the water
- Awards received include Solar Impulse Label, Cleantech Group Top 50 to Watch, NACO Canada’s Most Promising Startup
To lead our product development strategy, function and team for our next stage of growth, Open Ocean Robotics are hiring a Chief Technology Officer (CTO). For this role, we seek a leader who will drive the growth and productivity of the engineering team so that they can succeed in optimizing the current USV for commercial applications and production. In this strategic role, you will also be responsible for the design, release, and validation of future generations of Open Ocean Robotics technologies (hardware and software).
Strategy and Leadership
- Lead product development and the existing cross functional team to meet goals and objectives to support company growth. The CTO will be responsible for developing the future structure for this team and to recruit and retain top talent
- Lead the technology and product development strategy for Open Ocean Robotics, in close collaboration with the CEO and leadership team
R&D and Product Development Leadership
- Work closely with Business Development and Ocean Operations to create technology solutions and roadmaps for completion
- Lead and support Ocean Open Robotics Intellectual Property (IP) strategy and process
Stakeholder Engagement & Communications
- Learn and understand the current and future needs of current and potential customers; leverage these insights into the design and development of creative technology solutions
- Support the CEO as required in engagement with current and potential customers, current and potential investors and other key stakeholders where CTO expertise and input adds value
To succeed in this high-impact role you will care deeply about the mission of Open Ocean Robotics and their impact on our blue economy. You will be a capable and credible leader who leads with purpose, clarity, and empathy. You will also bring the following key skills and experience:
- Solid experience as CTO or VP Engineering with responsibility for the product development lifecycle
- Product development experience specifically in ocean tech; or field robotics, when accompanied by a deep affinity, interest and personal engagement in the ocean
- Product development experience specifically in maritime robotics such UUVs, USVs, ROVs, gliders, etc. is preferred but not essential
- Built and led engineering teams
- A deep understanding of mechanical and electrical systems, and an ability to guide software vessel requirements
- Design and implementation of product roadmaps and Technical Readiness scales
- Deep deployment and understanding of DFM/DFC/DFQ practices
- Experience with Agile/Scrum or similar methodologies
- Exposure to customers
- To bring the depth of expertise and leadership we seek, you will likely have been in a CTO or senior engineering leadership role for 3 – 5 years or more and bring 15+ years of relevant sector experience.
- A university degree in engineering (Bachelor’s or equivalent)
- Specialist education or training in marine robotics, ocean tech or field robotics
This position will be based at the Open Ocean Robotics HQ in Victoria, BC. Victoria is a spectacular, waterfront city and the official capital of British Columbia, Canada’s West Coast province. With a current population of close to 100,000, it is home to a dynamic, thriving economy and vibrant arts and culture scene, with an extraordinary natural environment including oceans, lakes, mountains and rainforest. It is situated on Vancouver Island, a scenically stunning land-mass larger than the UK. Victoria is easily accessible to the mainland of Metro Vancouver via regular ferries, seaplanes and regular air travel. Please visit www.victoria.ca for more information about this spectacular location.
Open Ocean Robotics will gladly help with relocation and visa requirements for international candidates.
Your Candidate Journey
Open Ocean Robotics has entrusted Elaine Grotefeld at Latitude Cleantech Search to help them recruit for this important role. Please contact Elaine directly for a confidential conversation, by emailing her on email@example.com or through Linkedin.
- Elaine and Latitude commit to engaging with you in a respectful and transparent manner throughout this process and to respect the confidentiality of any information shared.
- Open Ocean Robotics and Latitude Cleantech Search are committed to ensuring a fair, open and accessible process and look forward to considering candidates from a diversity of backgrounds.
- Open Ocean Robotics believes in the power of diversity and inclusion and welcomes applications from all demographics and equity-seeking groups.
Thank you for considering this impactful and exciting opportunity.