Open Ocean Robotics
At Open Ocean Robotics our mission is to build the world’s most advanced ocean robots with a focus on safety, reliability and repeatable performance. Our technology team specializes in creating mobile data-collecting platforms that can remain indefinitely in inhospitable ocean environments. We offer a safer, more effective, and affordable way of gaining ocean insights, transforming how we study, protect and utilize our oceans, and helping build an ocean IoT.
We are seeking a Back-End Developer to be part of our team, to start within the next few months. Ideally, you have a passion for creating quality software with a love of the ocean and robotics.
As a Back-End Developer you are passionate about microservice architecture, big data problems and how it relates to the overall backend platform performance. You deliver simple, clean code that is tested and testable. You carefully evaluate and communicate the merits and costs of design choices, not only on how it impacts the user but also how it impacts implementation and architecture. You are always looking for better ways to design and develop user interfaces.
As a member of the software development team, you will be designing, prototyping, and delivering scalable solutions in an agile environment. You will be responsible for contributing to individual products, the core software platform, and for meeting the commitments that your team agrees on.
Any experience with uncrewed systems such as UAV, USV or other autonomous vehicles would be considered a bonus for your application.
In this role you will:
- Work on our amazing platform to support the management, mission planning and control of our fleet of USVs.
- Focus on performance, security and scalability of the platform.
- Help us improve the ingest and availability of data; as well as advanced data analytics processing.
- Work as part of a team to deliver quality software from inception to production in an agile environment; writing high-quality code that satisfies our customer’s needs, striving for simplicity, clarity and testability
- Follow code quality, unit testing, and documentation standards
- Participate in and solicit code reviews, accepting and offering timely and constructive criticism that helps us prevent defects
- Proactively report and fix defects
- Document solutions and processes
- Participate in the Agile Scrum development process
- Contribute to technical support for our customer support team.
As our ideal candidate you will have:
- 4+ years of writing well structured and clean code, in Node.js, Python, or other higher-layer language.
- At least 4 years developing web services and RESTful based APIs.
- At least 4 years experience with JS ecosystem staples (Node.js, Express, Swagger).
- Strong knowledge of AWS services and architecture; e.g. EC2, EBS, RDS, S3, ALB, etc.
- Experience with designing and developing micro services based applications.
- Experience with relational and no-sql data stores; e.g. Postgres, Elastic Search, Redis
- Experience with testing frameworks (such as Mocha or Jest).
- Experience with Linux based operating systems and shell scripting
- Experience with Container and Orchestration tools; e.g. Docker, Rancher 2, Kubernetes
- Experience managing and supporting CI/CD environments; e.g. GitLab
- Familiarity with authentication and authorization infrastructure; e.g. KeyCloak, Auth0.
- Key understanding of performance principles and monitoring.
- Understanding of principles for securing data in transit and at rest.
- Graduated from a recognized institution with a relevant degree.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, technical aptitude, attention to detail
- Familiarity with Git and related branching workflows.
- Experience with software development lifecycle, TDD, and Agile development practices.
- Comfortable working in both Linux and Windows environments.
- Positive attitude, reliable, self-motivated, team player with excellent communication skills.
- Bonus: Experience with Streaming Analytics and Machine Learning
- Bonus: Familiar with developing with communication stacks over Ethernet/TCP, Satellite SBD and RF Modems
- Bonus: Knowledge of front-end technologies such as HTML5 and CSS3
- Bonus: knowledge of other frontend JS frameworks; e.g. React, Angular
- Bonus: Background and understanding of unmanned systems such as UAV, USV or other autonomous vehicles.
This is a full-time position based in Victoria, BC. Compensation is dependent on experience level. Open Ocean Robotics does not support work visas.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Backend Developer” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest and time, and only applicants invited to interview will be contacted.
- From Hunting Poachers to Searching for Whales: A Year in Review at OOR
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Julie Angus wins Industry Icon Award at the 2021 BC Cleantech Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Awarded Solar Impulse Efficient Solution Label – An award for profitable solutions to protect the environment
- Open Ocean Robotics Wins Spot in Offshore Wind Challenge to Create Marine Mammal Monitoring Solution
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Joins Innovation Advisory Board for NATO Maritime Unmanned Systems Initiative
- Open Ocean Robotics Among Latest Cohort to Graduate Halifax’s Creative Destruction Lab
- Open Ocean Robotics Named to “Ready to Rocket” Cleantech List of Emerging BC Technology Companies
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Winner of the Innovator Award in the BC Business Women of the Year Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Secures $540,000 CAD in Pre-Seed Financing Round
- A Year in Review – The Memorable Moments that marked Open Ocean Robotics’ First Year in Business