Autonomous Systems Integration Engineer
Open Ocean Robotics
Open Ocean Robotics collects ocean data using our proprietary wind and solar powered uncrewed autonomous boats equipped with sensors, cameras and real-time communications. We offer a safer, more effective and affordable way of gaining ocean insights, transforming how we study, protect and utilize our oceans, and helping build an ocean IoT.
We are looking to hire someone full-time to join our 6-person team and lead the development of our autonomous systems. This is a key role and the chance to play a pivotal role in guiding the development of exciting new autonomous marine technology. Ideally the person shares our passion for the ocean and robotics, and is able to wear the many hats needed to work in a startup company.
In This Role, You Will:
- Guide the development of the electrical systems in our solar autonomous vessel from prototype to production level quality.
- Optimize the autonomous vessel’s overall electrical and software architecture, and delegate tasks to design components of the system.
- Supervise students and junior engineers (Must have a P.Eng.).
- Integrate ocean, environmental and system sensors into the vessel’s electrical, power and communications systems.
- Assist in optimizing sensor data acquisition in pilot projects, including bathymetry, current profiling and weather station data.
- Assist in the design outline for data storage and retrieval in a cloud-based system.
- Assist in optimization of data transmission systems running through radio, cellular and satellite networks.
- Other duties as required.
As our Ideal Candidate You Will Have:
- 8+ years relevant experience in electrical systems integration and design.
- 4+ years experience bringing a prototype to production level quality
- Experience as head of a product team.
- Experience managing and hiring people.
- Mechanical aptitude and understanding of how electrical components and sensors influence the performance of a boat.
- Experience and an understanding of the challenges of working in the marine environment.
- Ability to translate technical language into broadly understood terms.
- Graduated from a recognized institution with a relevant degree, such as Electrical Engineering, Software Engineering or Engineering Physics and licensed to practice in Canada as a professional engineer.
It Would also be Great if You Have:
- Experience with integration of marine sensors into buoys, autonomous vessels or other marine equipment.
- Familiarity with marine sensors such as multibeam sounder, ADCP, sound velocity profiler, including the use in the field and data processing.
- Familiarity with C++, Python and/or other programming languages.
- Familiarity with use of satellite and cellular communication systems for data transfer.
This position is in Victoria, BC.
Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.