Acoustic Sensor Systems Manager Wanted
We’re on a quest to find an Acoustic Sensor Systems Manager to manage our passive acoustic sensor development, integration and deployment.
Do you have a deep understanding of passive acoustic monitoring and the technical hands-on expertise for deployment and optimization? Are you knowledgeable in underwater and surface vessel detections, marine mammal monitoring, underwater noise assessments, hydrophone calibration and ocean data analytics? Are you motivated by a passion for learning and a deep care for the ocean, the climate and the planet’s wellbeing?
We would love to hear from you.
About Open Ocean Robotics
If you dream of exploring remote worlds using advanced robotic technologies, we’ll take you there.
Operating on oceans around the world from Victoria BC, Open Ocean Robotics is a rapidly growing startup transforming how we understand our oceans through better data. We are leaders in solar-powered autonomous boats, also called uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), that voyage inhospitable ocean environments for multi-month missions. Combined with advanced sensors and data analytics, and producing no greenhouse gases or risk of oil spills, we offer a safer, more effective and affordable way of gaining ocean insights. We are transforming how we study, protect and utilize our oceans, and helping to build an ocean IoT.
We’re driven by a pioneering spirit to push boundaries and make the seemingly impossible possible. Together, we can achieve that goal, growing our team of highly skilled people and offering you the opportunity to tackle big challenges with solutions that make a difference.
- Design and optimize acoustic sensor systems
- Design ocean deployments to test arrays, measure self-noise and obtain desired acoustic data for customers
- Evaluate and optimize acoustic data collection for marine mammals, vessel and noise assessments
- Optimize acoustic software analysis, real-time detectors and guide our team in advancing our software capabilities
- Bring knowledge of existing technologies and how to best utilize them, as well as how to develop our system to meet unaddressed needs
- Develop relationships with other organizations, companies and government departments involved in passive acoustic monitoring
- Communicate our acoustic capabilities externally through customer engagement, public presentations and written materials
Skills & Qualifications
- A degree in Engineering, Oceanography, Computer Science or similar
- Demonstrated experience developing, deploying and using acoustic/SONAR systems in the commercial, research or defence sector
- Proficiency developing custom signal processing pipelines with existing libraries in Python, R, or Matlab
- A genuine will to continually better understand the current state of acoustic technologies and learn about the use of USV technologies for such applications
- Strong verbal and written communication capabilities (technical & business)
- Remarkable organizational, time management, and prioritization skills
- Be passionate about advancing innovative technologies, making an impact and scaling a startup company
- A big picture thinker with the ability to understand the big picture while paying attention to the details
- Willingness to learn and tenacity to finish what you have started (can-do attitude)
Assets of interest
- Specific relevant domain knowledge
- Being technical-savvy
- Good at working with a diverse group of people & motivated at team building
This is a full-time permanent position based in Victoria, BC available for immediate start. Open Ocean Robotics does not sponsor work visas.
Open Ocean Robotics provides competitive compensation, stock options and benefits. The benefits plan includes extended healthcare coverage, prescription drug plan, dental benefits and life insurance. The stock option plan makes you an owner in Open Ocean Robotics, benefiting from the growth that you will help drive.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Acoustic Sensor Systems Manager” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest and time. Only applicants invited to interview will be contacted.
Our team is purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce.
As we continue to strengthen our team, we are closely monitoring COVID-19 to ensure our hiring practices are safe. This includes video interviews and condensed onsite interviews.
- Open Ocean Robotics wins Campbell River’s’ NexStream 2.0 Wild Card Challenge!
- From Hunting Poachers to Searching for Whales: A Year in Review at OOR
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Julie Angus wins Industry Icon Award at the 2021 BC Cleantech Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Awarded Solar Impulse Efficient Solution Label – An award for profitable solutions to protect the environment
- Open Ocean Robotics Wins Spot in Offshore Wind Challenge to Create Marine Mammal Monitoring Solution
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Joins Innovation Advisory Board for NATO Maritime Unmanned Systems Initiative
- Open Ocean Robotics Among Latest Cohort to Graduate Halifax’s Creative Destruction Lab
- Open Ocean Robotics Named to “Ready to Rocket” Cleantech List of Emerging BC Technology Companies
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Winner of the Innovator Award in the BC Business Women of the Year Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Secures $540,000 CAD in Pre-Seed Financing Round