Open Ocean Robotics is a dynamic start-up company that will change how we research and protect our oceans. We need passionate driven people to make that happen.
Autonomous Marine Electrical Engineer Co-op Placement
We are developing an industry first: a solar powered unmanned surface vessel, Solar Xplorer, which is also the world’s fastest energy-harvesting autonomous boat. The Autonomous Marine Electrical Engineer will provide essential support and leadership in devising and installing some of the electrical systems for the prototype vessel.
Ideally, the candidate will have a background in autonomous unmanned aerial vehicles or other autonomous vehicles, in particular, having experience with the opensource Pixhawk autonomous navigation system. Integration and installation of the various systems including telemetry, data logger, AIS, etc. will be some of the tasks required.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Optimizing solar array. The vessel is powered with a (rated) 1100-watt solar array, which will charge a lithium ion battery. Some aspects of the electrical system will need to be fine-tuned as the system is installed on the boat.
- Installing and optimizing a third-party satellite telemetry system that runs off Raspberry Pi and is configured to work with the Pixhawk system.
- Installing a third-party telemetry system that works off the 3G/4G cellular network. This system will also relay high-definition video.
- Installation of weather sensors, AIS, antennas, etc. Some of the cables will run a significant distance through the vessel, with consideration for reducing electrical noise.
- Creating algorithms to regulate power consumption. For example, motor speed will need to be adjusted according to several inputs from sensors such as solar output, battery voltage, length of nights, etc.
Job Knowledge Qualifications:
- Strong problem solving skills
- Must be self-motivated
- Strong attention to detail
- Experience with UAV or other autonomous vehicles an asset
- Experience with the opensource Pixhawk autonomous navigation system an asset
- Undergraduate or graduate student in Electrical Engineering
This is a 16-week co-op position in Victoria beginning January 2, 2019.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
All applications must be received by end of day on Friday November 2, 2018.