Open Ocean Robotics is proud to announce that the company’s CEO, Julie Angus, won the Industry Icon Award for Cleantech CEO at the BC Cleantech Awards hosted by Foresight in a virtual ceremony held February 18.
About Julie Angus
A scientist, adventurer, boat designer, and entrepreneur, Julie Angus cofounded Open Ocean Robotics to help protect our oceans and offer solutions to some of our greatest maritime challenges. Julie is the co-inventor of disruptive technology to better harness solar and wind energy by autonomous vessels, creating Open Ocean Robotics’ Force12 Xplorer and Solar Xplorer, which is the world’s only commercial solar-powered offshore autonomous boat and fastest energy-independent unmanned boat. Julie is the first woman to row across the Atlantic Ocean from mainland to mainland and a recipient of the National Geographic Adventurer of the Year award. Explore Magazine listed her as one of North America’s leading adventurers and in 2016 Canadian Geographic named her one of Canada’s Greatest Women Explorers. Prior to forming Open Ocean Robotics, Julie cofounded Angus Rowboats, a company providing robotically-cut kits for a variety of human-powered craft and sailboats, and worked in venture capital, technology transfer and business development. Julie received her Bachelor of Science in Biology and Psychology from McMaster University and her Masters of Science in Molecular Biology from the University of Victoria. She is a recipient of the McMaster University Young Alumni Award, University of Victoria’s Distinguished Alumni Award, and a Fellow of Canadian Geographic.
Open Ocean Robotics Awarded Solar Impulse Efficient Solution Label – An award for profitable solutions to protect the environment
Open Ocean Robotics was awarded the Solar Impulse Efficient Solution Label following a rigorous assessment performed by independent experts based on verified World Alliance for Efficient Solutions standards.
Open Ocean Robotics Wins Spot in Offshore Wind Challenge to Create Marine Mammal Monitoring Solution
Out of over 60 applicants worldwide, Open Ocean Robotics was selected as one of three startups to participate in Greentown Labs’ and Vineyard Wind’s Offshore Wind Challenge and accelerator program.
Open Ocean Robotics CEO Joins Innovation Advisory Board for NATO Maritime Unmanned Systems Initiative
CEO and Co-founder of Open Ocean Robotics, Julie Angus, was recently appointed to the Innovation Advisory Board (IAB) for NATO’s Maritime Unmanned Systems Initiative (MUS). The NATO MUS initiative is a multinational cooperation effort that aims to accelerate the development and integration of maritime unmanned systems across Allied and Partner navies…
After being selected for the Creative Destruction Lab (CDL) Atlantic program from over 100 applicant companies in September 2019, Open Ocean Robotics is among 13 ventures in the latest cohort to graduate.
Open Ocean Robotics made a list of British Columbia (BC) CleanTech companies with the greatest potential for growth.
BCBusiness Magazine’s Women of the Year Awards highlights exceptional female business leaders in British Columbia, a province that has remarkable women pushing frontiers
Open Ocean Robotics closed its Pre-Seed round of financing, raising $540,000 CAD from angel investors and seed funds.
2019 has been a year of change for Open Ocean Robotics. What started as a geeky project in our garage...
We are honoured to have won the Most Promising Start-up of 2019 Award from NACO at the World Angel Investment Summit.
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Julie Angus wins Industry Icon Award at the 2021 BC Cleantech Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Awarded Solar Impulse Efficient Solution Label – An award for profitable solutions to protect the environment
- Open Ocean Robotics Wins Spot in Offshore Wind Challenge to Create Marine Mammal Monitoring Solution
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Joins Innovation Advisory Board for NATO Maritime Unmanned Systems Initiative
- Open Ocean Robotics Among Latest Cohort to Graduate Halifax’s Creative Destruction Lab
- Open Ocean Robotics Named to “Ready to Rocket” Cleantech List of Emerging BC Technology Companies
- Open Ocean Robotics CEO Winner of the Innovator Award in the BC Business Women of the Year Awards
- Open Ocean Robotics Secures $540,000 CAD in Pre-Seed Financing Round
- A Year in Review – The Memorable Moments that marked Open Ocean Robotics’ First Year in Business
- Open Ocean Robotics wins Canada’s Most Promising Startup of 2019 Award from NACO